Associate Professor of Finance, HEC Paris, January 2013 –
Academic Director, MSc International Finance, HEC Paris, September 2015 –
Assistant Professor of Finance, Vanderbilt University, July 2007 – December 2012
Visiting Assistant Professor of Finance, London Business School, January 2012 – July 2012
Visiting Scholar, University of New South Wales, June 2010 – July 2010
Assistant Professor of Finance, Virginia Tech, August 2004 – June 2007
Ph.D., Finance, Purdue University, 2000 – 2004
MBA, Finance, University of California, Riverside, 1998 – 2000
BA, Business Economics, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1994 – 1998
- Debt decisions in deregulated industries, Journal of Corporate Finance 36, February 2016.
- Merger waves following industry deregulation, Journal of Corporate Finance 21, June 2013.
- Individual political contributions and firm performance, with E. Pantaleoni, Journal of Financial Economics 105, August 2012.
- Corporate political contributions and stock returns, with M. J. Cooper and H. Gulen, Journal of Finance 65, April 2010.
- Capital structure decisions: Evidence from deregulation industries, Journal of Financial Economics 95, February 2010.
- Capital market imperfections and the sensitivity of investment to stock prices, with J. J. McConnell, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 44, June 2009.
- The other January effect, with M. J. Cooper and J. J. McConnell, Journal of Financial Economics 82, November 2006.
- S&P 500 Index additions and earnings expectations, with D. K. Denis, J. J. McConnell and Y. Yu, Journal of Finance 58, October 2003.
- What is the best way to trade the January Barometer?, with Michael J. Cooper and John J. McConnell, Journal Of Investment Management 8, 4th Quarter 2010.
- Predictability of long-term spinoff returns, with John J. McConnell, Journal Of Investment Management 2, 3rd Quarter 2004.
WORKING PAPERS AND WORK IN PROGRESS
- Debt and incentives in political campaigns, with P. Valta.
- Political activism and firm innovation, with S. W. Reza and Y. Wu.
- Geographic vibrancy and firm performance, with M. J. Cooper.
- Do corporate political contributions cause higher returns?, with M. J. Cooper and H. Gulen.
- Firm lobbying and regulatory changes in the Financial Services industry, with M. J. Cooper and J. J. McConnell.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Semi-finalist for the Best Paper Award for Individual political contributions and firm performance, 2011 Financial Management Association Annual Conference, October 2011
- Outstanding Paper Award for Individual political contributions and firm performance, Mid Atlantic Research Conference, March 2011
- Nominated for the Best Paper Award for Individual political contributions and firm performance, 2011 European Financial Management Association Annual Conference
- Best Paper in Corporate Finance Award for Corporate political contributions and stock returns, Midwest Finance Association Meeting, March 2009
- Finalist, James A. Webb Jr. Teaching Award, Owen Graduate School of Management, 2008
- Third prize winner of the Q-Group’s 2007 Rodger F. Murray prize competition for Corporate political contributions and stock returns, November 2007
- Second prize winner of the Fama/DFA Prize for Capital Markets and Asset Pricing in the Journal of Financial Economics for The other January effect, June 2007
- Research Summer Grant, Virginia Tech, Summer 2006
- Nominated for the Smith Breeden prize in the Journal of Finance for S&P 500 Index additions and earnings expectations, August 2004
- Purdue Research Fund (PRF) Research Grant, Purdue University, Purdue University, 2003– 2004
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Purdue University, Spring 2002
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant of the Year Award, University of California Riverside, 1998-1999
- American Finance Association
- European Finance Association
- Financial Management Association
- Western Finance Association
- FMRC Conference on the Role of Government Regulation in Corporate Finance, Nashville, 2009
PROGRAM COMMITTEE MEMBER
- FMA European conference, 2009, 2010
- EFA, 2014, 2015, 2016
- MFA annual meeting, 2009
- FMA annual meeting, 2004, 2008
- American Finance Association, Boston, 2015
- Financial Intermediation Research Society Conference, 2014
- Mid Atlantic Research Conference, Philadelphia, 2010
- FMA European Meeting, 2009
- MFA Annual Meeting, 2009
- FMA Annual Meeting, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2013, 2016
- AFA, 2015, 2017
Accounting and Finance, California Management Review, Financial Management, Financial Review, International Review of Finance, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Corporate Finance, Journal of Economics and Business, Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Financial Markets, Journal of Financial Research, Public Choice, Review of Economic Studies, Review of Financial Studies, Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance
SERVICE AT VIRGINIA TECH
- Ph.D. committee, 2006-2007
- Finance recruiting committee, 2006-2007
- Finance seminars committee chair, 2006-2007
SERVICE AT VANDERBILT
- Accounting, Economics and Finance Seminar coordinator, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010
SERVICE AT HEC
- Finance specialization coordinator, MBA program 2015
- Core course coordinator, Corporate Finance, MBA program, 2013-2014
- Advisor, MBA Finance club, 2013-2014
- Advisor, MBA Private Equity club, 2013-2014
Advanced Corporate Finance (MSc International Finance), HEC Paris
Fall 2015, Fall 2016
Corporate Valuation (MSc International Finance), HEC Paris
Finance Backbone and Mini-Backbone (MBA), HEC Paris
Fall 2014, Winter 2015, Fall 2015, Fall 2016
Corporate Finance (MBA), HEC Paris
Winter 2013, Fall 2013, Winter 2014
Mergers & Acquisitions (MBA), HEC Paris
Winter, 2014, Spring 2014
Corporate Valuation (MBA), Vanderbilt
Fall 2007 (Mod 1), Spring 2008 (Mod 3), Fall 2008 (Mod 2), Spring 2009 (Mod 3), Fall 2009 (Mod 2), Spring 2010 (Mod 3), Fall 2010 (Mod 2), Spring 2011 (Mod 3), Fall
2011 (Mod 1)
Corporate Valuation (EMBA), Vanderbilt
Spring 2008, Spring 2009, Spring 2010, Spring 2011
Corporate Financial Policy (EMBA), Vanderbilt
Mergers & Acquisitions, Vanderbilt
Spring 2011 (Mod 3)
Empirical Methods in Finance (Ph.D.), Vanderbilt
Spring 2008 (Mod 3)
Corporate Finance (Ph.D. seminar), Vanderbilt
Spring 2008, Spring 2009
Advanced Financial Management (undergraduate), Virginia Tech
Fall 2004, Fall 2005, Spring 2006
Asset Valuation and Corporate Governance (undergraduate), Virginia Tech
Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Restructurings (MBA), Virginia Tech
Spring 2005, Spring 2006, Spring 2007
Corporate Finance (Ph.D. seminar), Virginia Tech
Spring 2005, Spring 2007